Wednesday, September 1, 2010

finally, a new post after two months!

so sorry to all for not being a very diligent blogger. my internet access has been less than easily accessible and when it is, there are thirty five other eager individuals vying for some time. once i get to site though, my access will hopefully be more regular, less rushed, and i will be able to use my own computer.
oh, but so much has happened, the biggest news being that today i was sworn in as an official peace corps volunteer! we all wore red white and blue corsages and received special pins to commemorate the occasion. pictures to come, i promise.
in the meantime, i will be traveling to my village, Nandumbo, in the district of Balaka on friday. for those of you with a map, it is located between the town of Ulongwe and Liwonde national park, meaning i am close to the Shire River which is home to hippos, crocodiles, elephants, and a million kinds of birds. on my week long site visit i was even able to take a boat safari! however, the landscape around the park is as flat as a table, very hot and dry, and even the boreholes pump salty water. needless the say, the mosquitoes love it.
as for my site details; i am the first pcv to serve at this site and the health center i will be working at is just opening this week (or so they say). my presence in Nandumbo was requested by a NGO; Help Malawi, whose headquarters is located inside the park at Mvuu (hippo) camp. i have been told that malnutrition and malaria are problems within the community as well as maternal health and, of course, HIV/AIDS. my position as a brand new volunteer whose presence is coinciding with the opening of a new health center is unique, and i am excited at this opportunity, despite the daunting nature of the challenge that lay ahead.
my house, at the moment, is being worked on and will hopefully be finished in a couple weeks. it was pretty much in shambles when i saw it for the first time, but i believe that once it has been fixed up it will be a pretty sweet spot. the house is big with three bedrooms and a living room, plus a separate kitchen, covered batha and storage room in the backyard, not to mention my very own chimbutzi. i hope to start a garden as soon as possible and i will be lugging a couple of how to garden books, among many others, with me to site. in the meantime, though, while my house is being finished, i will be staying with Katharina, a young austrian teacher working for Help Malawi at a local primary school.
i am sending you all my love and hope all is well stateside. i swear to you my blogging will become more regular as my life becomes more of a routine and i look forward to your comments. i have love love loved getting emails, letters, and messages from you all, even if i have yet to respond. you make me feel so awesome and loved and i wouldn't mind if you kept it up.
talk soon and cheers! C

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your becoming "official" and stepping into such an awesome challenge. I am very proud of you my young friend. Every time the earth shakes as the elephants walk by or the hippos run towards the water... think of your old friend. I will be thinking of you and praying for your good health. Keep the faith and know you are loved by many. Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking time to blog here, Chloe; in so doing you've allowed we "statesiders" - your friends and family - to have a peek into the extraordinary life you're living now. Thinking of you with awe and admiration for your commitment and service to the people of Nandumbo. Much love from your proud godmother, Aunt Lex.

    ReplyDelete