Thursday, August 30, 2012

the Long Return

Today, as of 8:30am, I am no longer a current PCV but a Returned PCV who has no yet returned. It will be a long return, so to speak, as I embark on a three month trip jumping North through Africa with a small detour south, south east.

Said my goodbyes to Amayi Rashidi, Inez, and Patuma last week and rode the bike taxi to Ulongwe one last time. The night before I held Amayi Rashidis hand as she walked me home and she gave me rice to take to my Amayi in America. Its always weird to live, in real time, an occurrence you have spent a lot of time considering and contemplating. Almost like the ultimate reality, being able to consider the past and present all in the moment. So many times I thought about leaving for good, sometimes with nostalgia, sometimes with happiness, and sometimes taking pleasure in the mean thought that the villagers would really be sorry when I left.

A week and three poops in three cups later, I am off to spend one last week in a Malawian village with my American Seesta, Kala. Together, we will cross the northern Karonga district boarder to Tanzania, jump on the overnight train to Dar Es Salaam and I think we will see some giraffe herds on the way. In Dar Es Es Salaam, I will meet my dear friend Matt and together we will through Tanzania, Madagascar, Egypt, and Greece, returning home December 1st, exhausted and just in time for the holiday season.

I promise I will try my hardest to better maintain this blasted blog. Actions speak louder than words so I guess only time will tell if I keep my word.

Stay Tuned…..

No comments:

Post a Comment