Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Usual

Another week in the village gone by. Can’t believe it’s already the end of October and I have been at site for2 months and in country for 4, the better part of a half year! I have been very good about living in the present and so the days go by quickly. I wake In the mornings at 6:30, often to a neighbor coming into my backyard. Half asleep, I rise and after realizing I cannot make conversation in English, let alone Chichewa 2 minutes after getting up, my neighbor leaves and I begin to make a fire. I sit at the breakfast table and read my book until around 9 and then cycle to the health center. Afternoons are spent eating lunch with friends and walking around the village chatting. I begin making dinner at 6pm, which is when the sun sets every day, eat and bathe by candlelight and then retire to my bed after doing a thorough search of my bed for insects.

Last week I acquired a small, orange boy kitten who I have named Spider. He enjoys climbing up my eucalyptus tree and fence, much like a spider, and I am very pleased since he is eating all the huge insects in my house. Besides bugs, I feed him small fish, rice, and whatever is left over from dinner. He likes to hang out around my yard, meowing and playing and when he is not at my house, he is found next door at the Kambale’s. Amayi Kambale is always saying, Pussy pussy pussy pussy when she calls for him. It’s hard not to laugh. He is nice company and finally! I have a cat who enjoys sitting in my lap. And won’t run away when there is a loud noise.

Other than that, I must say I have not much else to report. As I settle into a routine, the villagers are becoming more accustomed to me and I, them. Children no longer yell “Give me money,” as I ride by every day, though they still run after my bike. Sometimes, when an older boy yells to me for money, I pretend like I have lost control of my bike and will run into him. It works every time. Mean, I know, but I get so annoyed hearing them begging in broken English. The parents think it is funny and it seems there is no sense of humility.

Thinking of all of you as I eat mangoes instead of apples and as it heats up instead of cools down. Next weekend I will be spending Halloween by the lake. Haven’t decided my costume yet so I think I will just stick with a swim suit; tugs as my Australian friend would call my suit. Happy Halloween!

Xoxo C

1 comment:

  1. I so enjoy your postings. Sounds like routine is developing and the thought of a helpful cat (bug catcher) makes me smile. I would love to hear more about your work and plans with the clinic. Things here are moving along and you remain in our prayers and thoughts daily. Hugs to you. Doug

    ReplyDelete